Category Archives: EdTech 534
For the final project in the class, I decided to fill an immediate need and create an AP Statistics MC review app for my students and anyone else with a dire need to review AP Statistics. I wanted students to be able to choose from the module they want to review so I created a Module Choice page that leads to each individual module quiz. After the quiz was complete, students are given feedback (whether or not they were correct) for each respective quiz.
The plan was to use images for all of the questions (as some have graphs) but I could not figure out a way to do so in a label. If I used all images that would work, but I wanted a mix of some text questions and some images. I will play around with that idea in the upcoming week. I have some work to do with the formatting as well. The spacing is not exactly what I want.
I am currently doing a probability unit in my statistics course so I decided to adapt the President’s Quiz for my topic. I tried many different things in this app — some that were successful and some that were not. First, I wanted to have an animated effect on my splash page. I wanted one item to come in at a time, so I used an animated index. It worked fine when I tested it on the emulator and on the companion, but not when I installed it on my phone. Not sure why. I also wanted to use a ListPicker, but I decided against that as well. So what did I do? I created a splash screen with a intro image as well as a wav file to introduce the quiz. I created a six question quiz. I used a counter to keep track of the number correct and displayed the number correct for the user at the end.
On the quiz screen, I did make it scrollable. I struggle with the layout of the apps. I like things to be spaced nicely.
I am finding it challenging for the apps to do exactly what I want it to do. I think I need to read further before I start my project so I make sure I am not wasting my time in creating something that is unrealistic.
In this app, I learned how to determine and save the longitude and latitude of a location. I wanted to make this app applicable and fun for me to use. I am constantly losing my car at the mall, so I feel this is an app I will certainly use. I was trying to think of other uses for tracking a person, animal or such, but I couldn’t come up with a better use of this topic than adapting a bit of the finding your car app. I essentially changed the aesthetics of the app to make it look better.
I happened to be visiting Durango, CO this weekend and decided to make the app about Durango! This app seemed much simpler than recent apps as it required less block code. I tried to explore ways to find the list look like a drop down menu as opposed to opening up in another screen, but could not find a simple way to do so although I am sure there is one. I plan on adapting this app to create an app that will be a virtual tour of our high school to put on our school website.
This was the first app I have created that I really had to think about what was going on with the block code. I am not sure I could have thought of the process on my own at this point. Some of the code is certainly not intuitive. I read through all of the description and I understand most of it, but these two pieces of code are still puzzling to me:
Why would the Aphid be invisible? And I understand the updateFrog is supposed to move towards the ladybug but what is atan2?
I need to read a bit more instead of just going through the steps but as it was Homecoming weekend I ran out of time a bit :).
Wow…this app taught me quite a bit! I am not sure I am completely understanding how to put it all together from scratch on my own, but I am learning.
The purpose of this app was to create a way for drivers to hear a text from someone and send them a response letting them know that I am unavailable. This message can change depending on why I need to stop receiving texts. The user also receives my location as well. I don’t know if I would ever use that component myself as it seems kinda creepy that someone could always find out where I am. But, maybe that is just me. 🙂
I wanted to see how difficult it was to change languages. I created a component to change the language of the text to speech to spa (I had to look up the three letter code for spanish). I think this could be useful to help sell the app to users all over the world. I started to create a menu of languages the user could choose from (in the form of buttons), but realized that would be too much work. The GPS used was not completely accurate. My street name was correct, but my house number was not.
I am learning! I am starting the app developing unit with my kids next week and I am excited to see what they do!